1. Make your own Self-raising Flour:
Add 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder and 1/2 tsp salt to every cup of plain flour.
OR English-style, 1 1/2 tsp BP to every 6 oz plain flour.
2. Make your own Baking Powder:
Combine 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda/karbonat with 2 tbsp cream of tartar.
3. Make your own Condensed Milk:
I have never made it from scratch myself so this is why I am giving you a couple of links: there are plenty more out there so obviously it isn’t difficult to make yourself! But how wonderful to know you can!
4. Make your own Golden Syrup:
- 200g sugar
- 50 gr water
- 1 kg sugar
- 600 gr boiling water
- 2 slices of lemon
(Many thanks to friend Dawn for this recipe).
5. Make your own Sour Cream:
– Stir 1 tsp lemon juice into 150ml/5fl oz single cream and leave it to thicken for 30 minutes before using.
6. Make your own Moroccan ras-el-hanout spice blend:
There is no set recipe and it can contain over 30 ingredients. This recipe isn’t difficult as everything is already ground/öğütülmüş or in toz form.
- 2 tsp ground ginger/zencefil
- 2 tsp ground cardomom/kakule
- 2 tsp ground mace/küçük hindistan cevizinin kurultularak öğütülmüş kabüğü
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon/tarçin
- 1tsp ground allspice/yenibahar
- 1 tsp ground coriander/kişniş
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg/küçük hindistan cevizi
- 1 tsp turmeric/zerdeçal
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper/çekilmiş kara biber
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper/çekilmiş beyaz biber
- 1//2 cayenne/kırmızı acı biber
- 1/2 tsp ground anise seeds/anason tohumu
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves/karanfil
Blend all the spices in a bowl. Transfer to a glass jar and store in a dry, dark place. Will keep well for up to 3 months.Use it to season tagines, stews, meat, poultry, fish and vegetables.
7. Make your Own Middle Eastern blend of Zahtar or Za’atar:
- 2½ tablespoons sesame seeds/susam tohumu, toasted
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried thyme/kekik
- 2 teaspoons sumac/sumak
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.8. Make your own Süzme yoğurt or strained yogurt:Yield: 2 cups of thick yogurt
Take 6 cups plain yogurt, line a large sieve with a double layer of cheesecloth, place the sieve over a large bowl, pour the yogurt into the sieve, and let it drip. In 1 hour the yogurt will start to get thick. Let the yogurt drain, covered and refrigerated, in the sieve overnight to get a very thick consistency.
9. Make your own pastry:
Have a look at my own blog post:
Other How to