Leeks with Beef is a dish that uses the very popular “terbiyeli” method of adding egg and lemon juice as a thickener at the end of the cooking process. This lends a lovely fresh flavour to it as well as creating a nice thickening sauce and gives character to the dish.
Leeks with Beef is a quite well-known dish but with the addition of chickpeas it would no longer be called mainstream.
However those chickpeas add another dimension and certainly blend well with the given flavours. Actually, if you wish to leave out the beef you will still end up with a lovely dish – Leeks and Chickpeas instead.
LEEKS WITH BEEF SIMPLE BUT DELICIOUS
It is certainly simple to make Leeks with Beef and very quickly you can have a special meal on the table that tastes as though a lot more time and effort have gone into it.It may not look as tempting as some other dishes but the quality of Leeks with Beef in a Tangy Sauce is certainly up
It may not look as tempting as some other dishes but the quality of Leeks with Beef in a Tangy Sauce is certainly up there, when you take a mouthful.
- 2 long leeks, washed and cut into small chunks
- 2 carrots, sliced round
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 125g cubed beef (optional)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil
- If wanting to add meat, fry till brown
- Add leeks and carrots and stir for 3 minutes
- Add flour, mix well and stir for 2 minutes
- Add water, stir well and bring to boil
- Add chickpeas and let simmer 20 minutes with the lid on
- In a small bowl mix the egg and lemon juice together
- Take a few spoonfuls of the leeks dish liquid and add it to the egg mixture
- Mix well and slowly pour this into the leeks dish
- Stir continuously for 2 minutes
- Check for seasoning, add salt and pepper