This is a very popular dish in Turkey. A super simple one that is nutritious and very tasty. With so few ingredients needed, it is easy to pull it together pretty effortlessly.
Rice with chicken and chickpeas is exactly as it says. Nothing fancy – just a good wholesome meal, served with salad on the side.
Personally, I love to cook my piece of chicken (on the bone so it has extra flavour) in water with a little onion, carrot and salt to create a more flavoursome stock. This stock is then used for the rice which is cooked afterwards. Sometimes I drop my cooked chickpeas in too, so they get an extra flavour kick as well.
- 2 skinless chicken leg and thighs, jointed (often known as Maryland pieces)
- ½ onion
- 1 carrot
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- Salt, black pepper, pul biber (chilli flakes)
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- Place the chicken joints in a pan with the half onion, carrot and salt.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until meat comes away from the bone easily.
- Meanwhile, if using Turkish rice, place rice in bowl and cover with boiling water
- Leave for 30 minutes then drain, rinse well till the water runs clear and drain again
- Remove cooked chicken from pan and measure out 2 cups of stock
- In a clean pan, melt butter, then add chickpeas and drained rice
- Stir around for 2 minutes on high heat
- Add chicken stock and salt to taste. (if using home made chicken stock then I would suggest adding around ½ tsp salt to the rice.) If using packaged stock, use less salt.
- Stir well, then cover with lid and heat on medium high until boiling
- Stir again, cover again and turn heat down to medium low for 3 minutes
- After 3 minutes, turn heat off, cover with a tea towel or two and leave rice to cook itself undisturbed for 25 minutes.
- Shred the chicken off the bone into small pieces
- Once rice is ready, fold through the parsley
- Serve the rice onto plates and place chicken strands over the rice
- Sprinkle black and red pepper over the chicken and rice and serve immediately